Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Leopard Review Part II

    Though I have expressed minor feelings about this film, I feel as if I still have not yet got my true emotions out about how I feel. I was somewhat confused by the order things occured in the movie. Any scene that envolved a ball room dance, or a dance hall scene it completely was irrelevant to what Don Fabrizo or a man of his stature in the position he was in at the time. His times would be full of struggle and constant unsurence of what was to happen. Not to mention Fabrizo's careless attitude towards what revolutionary movement was going on in Italy at the time. It seemed all he was concerned about towards the end of the film was with which valid mistress Don Tancredi was going wedd. The ending was also confusing, especially Tancredi's last scene where he seems to be carelessly wondering down an alley from an abandoned court yard. The movies Historical effort was valid and it was all filmed in a timely chronological order. I wish Garabahaldi was more envolved with the film, to see him an action would have been spectacular

        
                                      

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that there were some scenes that were irrelevant to the progression of the film. The ballroom scene in particular had many extra shots that were not necessary for the progression of the story line. however, like I said in my blog post, after reading the required article I learned that one of the directors goals was to not only tell a story but also present an environment. Many of the shots were wide and would pan around the room to people talking for the sole purpose of showing the scenery.
    I also think that the ending was very confusing. There may have been occurrences that led up to the Prince's distance during the ball and his decision to walk home alone, but I was to wrapped up in everything else to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that there were an abundance of additional footage throughout the film that added nothing to the plot. However, I feel the extra footage made everything seem more authentic and real. The ballroom scene dragged for a very long time, but I enjoyed it because of how much effort was put into every detail. The costumes, the dance moves, the music, the food, the set dressing. Everything was planned and I was very impressed. It was one of the best period piece films I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete